Born in Berlin in 1945, married
- Studied economics, law, journalism and political sciences at Johannes-Gutenberg-Universität Mainz.
- 1971 Exam in Economics, scientific assistant in the Legal and Business Sciences Department, various teaching positions in economic policy
- 1975 Head of the Office for Economic Affairs and Traffic Development of the City of Mainz
- 1977 Director of the Office for Economic Affairs and Real Estate
- 1981-1987 fulltime councilor of the City of Mainz and head of dept. for economic affairs
- 1987-1998 Minister of State for Economic Affairs and Traffic of the State of Rhineland-Pfalz
- 1988-1998 simult. Deputy Prime Minister of the State of Rhineland-Pfalz
- 1994-1998 also in charge of Ministry for Agriculture and Viniculture of the State of Rhineland-Pfalz
- since 1998 Member of the German Parliament
- 2009-2011 Minister of Economic and Technology
- 2011-2013 Chairman of the liberal party fraction (FDP) in the German Parliament
Born in Heilbronn
- Law school in Heidelberg
- 1987 Managing Director & opening of the German branch of an international conference organization in Frankfurt
- 1989 Foundation of Management Circle GmbH. Today, Management Circle AG, headquartered in Eschborn, is one of the leading providers of continuing professional education for executives in Germany, Austria and Switzerland.
- In addition to Management Circle, further company foundations, acquisitions or investments in the field of training, marketing, IT and – together with partners – Investments in real estate were made.
- Member of the board of trustees of the NCL Foundation
- Member of the board of trustees of the friends and supporters of Goethe University Frankfurt e.V.
- Member of the governing board of the British Chamber of Commerce in Germany e.V.
- Member of the governing board of the Atlantic Bridge e.V.
Born in Heidenheim/Brenz in 1942, married
- Studied law and economics at the universities in Tübingen, Lausanne, Bonn after an apprenticeship in banking
- 1967 First Legal State Exam
- 1970 Second Legal State Exam
- 1972 Doctorate in Law, Bonn University
- 1970-1976 Bayerische Vereinsbank AG: National/International Corporate Lending
- 1976-1979 Schwenk Zement- und Baustoffwerke, Ulm. Management Assistant; responsible for sales/cargo, equity stakes, strategic projects
- 1979-1984 Managing Board, Effectbank-Warburg AG, Frankfurt. Corporate Lending, Investment-Banking and Management, Stock Broking
- 1984-1994 Owner-Manager BHF-Bank, Frankfurt
- 1995-1996 Chairman of the Board of Hornbach Holding AG as well as of Hornbach Baumarkt AG
- 1997-2001 Chairman of the Board of Bankgesellschaft Berlin AG
- since 2001 entrepreneur, member of various supervisory boards resp. advisory boards of companies active nationally and internationally, some of them listed.